Old February 3rd 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Orienteer Orienteer is offline

Default Save the 73 Routemaster!!!!

When I did a stint in the Chiswick bus development office as an engineering
student in the mid-1960s, RMs were averaging about 9mpg in service.
Furthermore, whereas RT engine life averaged out at 4 years, after 4 years
98% of RMs were still on their original engines. I always felt that this was
due to the RM's automatic gearbox limiting the revs; RT drivers often revved
right up to the governor in each gear!

Does anyone know the average mpg of, say, Tridents?

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
(Matt Ashby) wrote in message

. com...
Unfortunately the Routemaster isn't capable of performing the task
required of it - safe and accessible road transport. Routemasters are

Really? Its managed it for 40 years , why suddenly has this changed (apart
from the political correctness getting in on the act of course)?

not accessible to wheelchairs, buggies or the elderly, and are
extraordinarily unsafe (as demonstrated by the people you occasionally
see trying to push other people off the platform).

Ah rubbish. They're only unsafe for the terminally stupid.

Their engines also contribute far more than modern buses to our city's
pollution levels.

Most of them have new engines.

B2003