Old January 4th 11, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
max max is offline

Default New Year's Eve in London

reaching a conclusion.. we are all different and each one feels that in a
different way ..mainly we got to find fun & serenity eventually.

"MIG" ha scritto nel messaggio
On Jan 3, 1:29 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 01:42:12 -0000, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

max wrote:
How was it? I saw a fantastic fireworks scenery as i watched on TV the
following days..
they say it was overcrowded.. was it really like that?

Give me your opinion..

It's usually a complete shambles. I doubt that this year was different
(but
yes, the fireworks are good).

We used to go down for the fireworks every year until three years ago,
when
(despite leaving the pub at 23:15) we were unable to get any nearer the
river than the Strand, at the Aldwych end. In previous years we'd always
managed to stand along the Embankment near to Hungerford Bridges.

I have never been tempted to go and watch the London fireworks -
standing getting freezing cold hardly appeals. Most years I am somewhere
much warmer and have only bothered to try to see the local fireworks
once in Hong Kong. It was an utter waste of time as I saw nothing. I now
don't bother at all as you can see it on the news repeatedly.

I understand that three (possibly four) years ago in London that the
police get very close to a very serious crush condition at one location
and nearly lost control of the crowds at another due to the way the
crowds were being herded. I won't use the word "manage" as it implies
some sense. It seems that the police response is to manage people even
more tightly. I have absolutely no wish at all to be herded into a pen
against my will.

Then don't take part in rioting. I am sure that the police should
have been praised for the way that they responded to escalating levels
of violence.

(Do you think I've been too subtle?)

Thank you for reminding me why I don't bother to waste my time !
--
Paul C