Old January 5th 11, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Paul is offline

Default A good argument against the bendy bus

On Jan 5, 1:04*pm, Offramp wrote:
On Jan 5, 11:32*am, George wrote:

See:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=870_1293539979

Would anybody seriously suggest this is acceptable?

You don't queue for a bendy bus. You can't as it has three doors.

I had to go from my house in Walthamstow to Waterloo on Boxing Day,
and it involved a creative use of bus routes in order to get the-

W15 to Bakers Arms
55 to Southampton Row
59 to Waterloo.

Advantage in using the 55 was that it starts from the Bakers Arms and
therefore I was able to get on. it got progressively more crowded, and
at Shoreditch someone tried to get on through the centre doors, saying
they had been waiting for over an hour and every bus was full. So
Yes, I agree that the video is not an argument against the bendy
buses.

However, the number of people on the bus was clearly in excess of
capacity, to dangerous limits. Suppose there had been an accident? I
remember being in a similar situation at Trafalgar Square in the early
hours of New Years day before the tube ran all night. The driver of
the bus (an N26) refused to move off and called the police, who
ordered several people, including me, off the bus.

I suppose it did not help that there were Engineering Works on the DLR
between Stratford and Bow Church on that day, otherwise people could
have used the DLR to get at least part of the way into London

That video was taken at Stratford Broadway if I am not mistaken. You
could have walked for a few stops in the opposite direction towards
Forest Gate in order to stand more of a chance of being able to
board..

However, it was interesting that a 425 drew up behind the bendy bus.

You could have got on the 425 to go to Bow Church to

(a) pick up the DLR or
(b) pick up the the no. 8 or 205 buses, both of which start from Bow
Church

Alternatively you could have stayed on the 425 to :-

(a) Homerton Hospital and then the 242

or (b) Clapton Pond and then the 38.

In London, it does pay to have alternative routes up your sleeve in
case the tube is disrupted.