Old February 3rd 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default tube lines south of the river

Chetoph wrote:
"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
A much cheaper way of making the ELL useful would have been to
extend the track all of 200 yards from shorditch to join up
with the tracks into Liverpool street and terminate the trains
there so the people who use the ELL regularly would have had
someone useful to go to direct rather than having to change at
whitechapel all the time.

Isn't there a lack of platform space at Liverpool Street?

When they redesigned Liverpool Street they should have thought about
reinstating the link between the Metropolitan line and the main line
platforms and then run through services onto the East London Line.
Misses out the need for the St Mary's curve. I'm sure platform space
could be found.

The old link (removed 1907) was to the western side of Liverpool Street,
whereas the ELL connection was to the eastern side, so through running
would have been difficult without a major redesign, quite apart from the
impact on passenger circulation on the concourse at the mainline station.
It would be yet another flat junction on the Circle Line, and yet another
service to run on those tracks (in addition to Circle, H&C, Met, and two
District services). Platform space is the least of your worries.
--
Richard J.