Old February 3rd 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default My train is on fire!

TheOneKEA wrote:
wrote in message
In article ,
(Cast_Iron) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

Because the car is motoring at that point, it is drawing several
hundred amps.

In reality, several thousand. 59 stock and other trains prior to the
present
generation drew about 3000 amps when pulling away. I would hazard a
guess
that the newer trains draw somewhat more, although being "more
efficient" I
could be wrong..

I seem to remember the 1959 stock motor cars were protected with
600A (or possibly 800A) ribbon fuses. I'd have to dig the diagrams
out to check. I
can't remember with the 85 stock, I'd have to dig around for the
relevant manuals.

Roger

Wow, this stuff is amazing!

I thought it was just debris on the rail, but this is a whole new side
of the Underground that I never knew about.

Are there any websites with diagrams of how the power systems on the
various rolling stocks are constructed? Tubeprune has an excelent
section, but it's very general and doesn't give any details about the
rolling stock.

Try here, if you haven't already and follow the many links
http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Rolling%20Stock.htm

This is a scanned copy of a leaflet on 1959 stock given to traincrew
http://www.trainweb.org/ukrailways//...let/index.html