Old February 3rd 04, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Save the 73 Routemaster!!!!

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"Terry Harper" wrote in message

My view is that they should be restricted to a free shuttle the full

length
of Oxford Street, and that all other buses be diverted from it.

Interesting idea! Buses from the west could loop at Marble Arch, returning
back from whence they came and feeding into the Routemasters along Oxford
Street. Buses from the north to the centre of Oxford Street could loop

back
at Cavendish Square. Not sure about the eastern end (Holborn?) or how you
would handle buses from the south that currently approach via Regent

Street.
Then there's the problem of people who want to make through journeys

across
the central zone.

Nevertheless, with a bit of thought many of those problems could probably

be
very easily solved. It certainly sounds like an idea worth further
investigation!

There is no reason why buses can't cross Oxford Street, say at Tottenham
Court Road, Oxford Circus and Baker Street, and also run alongside it using
Welbeck Street. It's just the stupidity of running a large number of
near-empty buses at less than walking place that gets me. People who want to
make through journeys don't want all the delay involved.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org