Old January 10th 11, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Soft touch

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:47:36AM -0000, Recliner wrote:

I had a case recently where there was a signal failure on the route
home, which severely delayed numerous trains (at least a dozen) on
the Picc and District. They eventually got the trains moving again,
and I got to my home station over an hour later than I'd have
expected. I touched out correctly, and guessing that I'd have been
timed out, I went to the ticket machine and confirmed that I had
indeed been charged 2x£4.30 for the journey, rather than the £2.40
it should have been. I suspect most other pax wouldn't have thought
to do this. I went straight to the ticket office, which had someone
in it, who instantly agreed that I was due a full refund, but said
he couldn't do it immediately as the office was officially closed by
then.

And of course if you were at a National Rail station there's nothing
that could have been done anyway, because Oyster still isn't properly
implemented there, so you'd have to either use TfL's premium rate
phone line or maybe make a pointless journey (at your own expense) to
a TfL station.

And as I went on to point out, the helpline was less than helpful, and
visiting another TfL ticket office only got me half the refund owed.
They really do go out of their way to make it difficult to get back the
excess charges they've helped themselves to.