Old January 13th 11, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Gold Card discount on routes with TFL fares

On Jan 13, 9:35*pm, Beth wrote:

On Jan 13, 9:00*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jan 13, 8:28*pm, Beth wrote:

What fare do you pay on a PAYG Oyster card with a Gold Card loaded on
it when you travel on National rail routes where the fare is set by
TFL (Paddington to West Drayton for example)? Thanks

As of this January, Railcard discounts (inc. Gold Cards, but exc.
Network Railcards) now also apply to purely TfL-rated journeys when
using Oyster PAYG (inc. journeys only on the Tube that don't involve
NR).
[big snip]

Thanks. I didn't realise it was now applied to journeys only on Tube/
DLR.

It's a new development. Under the old regime (i.e. 2010) I *think*
there were possibly some zonal journeys which with a Railcard-discount
were cheaper as Tube+NR 'through' journeys (i.e. a Railcard-discounted
TfL+NR 'through fare') than if they were just purely a Tube journey
(i.e. the undiscounted TfL-rate) - in other words it actually paid to
route oneself via NR (and one possibly actually got some money back on
doing the NR leg - not sure about that though?!). I had some idea
about testing this out, but never got round to it - that I hold
neither an eligible Railcard nor a Gold Card rather made such an
experiment a bit harder to conduct! I might glance at the old fare
tables from last year (wot I saved from the website) and double-check
my memory of such a potential scenario though.