Old January 17th 11, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default DLR Extension To Stratford International

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:35:43 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
The jubilee line already does that anyway from Canning Town. When you
add that to the NLL services there was already a more than adequate
service on that route.

As you well know, the purpose was to grow a network, not just provide an
increased frequency between Canning Town and Stratford stations.

I think many would agree that the DLR network is quite big enough already.
No matter how many upgrades they do to it , at its heart its still a
glorified tram and is no substitute for a proper train line.

Thats what buses are for and the distances are pretty small anyway.

Perhaps your nearest Tube station should shut for the same reason? It
would certainly stop you complaining so much about the Tube.

My nearest tube station is over half a mile from my house. I don't complain.
I have the option of getting a bus if I want but I'm quite capable of managing
such a short walk.

Also a more complex network.

You're obviously in an even worse temper than usual today. Perhaps you'd
prefer that they'd just shut down the line instead of improving it?

Since I don't live there or travel there I don't realluy care one way or
the other. But if they were going to spend money I'd have though upgrading
the NLL over there would have been a more sensible and cheaper way to go.
Instead of spending god knows how many hundreds of millions rebuilding the
stations and relaying the track just so they can run smaller trains.

Compare it to the huge rise in ridership of the Croydon trams, compared
to the infrequent services they replaced (eg, to Wimbledon), which was a
similar sort of project.

Well I think you hit the nail on the head - infrequent. And they did change
the route too.

Which is used by precisely nobody.

And you'd obviously prefer that it stayed that way.

Couldn't care less. But its been a ghost station since it was built and
I'd lay money on it going back to being one after the olympics too.

B2003