Old January 18th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default DLR Extension To Stratford International

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:47:00 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
I expect the new stations will attract decent levels of patronage as has
been the case for all DLR stops - even Langdon Park which was supposed
to have no business case at all and yet seems busy enough when I've been
through it.

I'm sure there will be some extra passengers , but will it be worth the
money spent? Hmm...

Also a more complex network.

I have to say "so what?". The ability to get a direct train from

More things to go wrong and screw the whole thing up.

While I would agree that it has an element of "growing like topsy" about
it I doubt you'd ever had got a heavy rail network built to the same
extent as DLR has achieved. The development of Canary Wharf has
undoubtedly skewed things with JLE and now Crossrail to also serve the
area. However I doubt a heavy rail DLR link would have prevented
subsequent demands for other links.

Lets not forget that the JLE was built precisely because the DLR wasn't up
to the job of shipping large amounts of people from central london to
docklands. Apart from an extra carraige since then I can't see much has
changed.

Which is used by precisely nobody.

At present there aren't huge volumes but I see people trogging their way

At present there are no volumes - there are no services booked to stop
there!

from East London / Essex. The interchange potential at Stratford is huge

But interchange to what? A load of railway lines coming together doesn't
mean it'll become some major international hub. If people seriously believe
a stadium and a few new blocks of flats means stratford will somehow compete
with LStP for international traffic they're dreaming.

B2003