Old January 18th 11, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default DLR Extension To Stratford International

wrote in message

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:47:00 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
I expect the new stations will attract decent levels of patronage as

While I would agree that it has an element of "growing like topsy"
about it I doubt you'd ever had got a heavy rail network built to
the same extent as DLR has achieved. The development of Canary
Wharf has undoubtedly skewed things with JLE and now Crossrail to
also serve the area. However I doubt a heavy rail DLR link would
have prevented subsequent demands for other links.

Lets not forget that the JLE was built precisely because the DLR
wasn't up to the job of shipping large amounts of people from central
london to docklands. Apart from an extra carraige since then I can't
see much has changed.

Actually, DLR train lengths have tripled since it opened. Luckily you
weren't the one measuring the demand.

Which is used by precisely nobody.

At present there aren't huge volumes but I see people trogging their
way

At present there are no volumes - there are no services booked to stop
there!

Yet another factual mistake -- there are four high speed trains per hour
off-peak to StP, and about six per hour peak.

from East London / Essex. The interchange potential at Stratford is
huge

But interchange to what? A load of railway lines coming together
doesn't mean it'll become some major international hub. If people
seriously believe a stadium and a few new blocks of flats means
stratford will somehow compete with LStP for international traffic
they're dreaming.

You've obviously not noticed the new Westfield Stratford City retail
development, the largest urban shopping centre in Europe. Have you
actually visited the Stratford area in recent years?