Old January 18th 11, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default DLR Extension To Stratford International

wrote in message

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:14:52 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
Lets not forget that the JLE was built precisely because the DLR
wasn't up to the job of shipping large amounts of people from
central london to docklands. Apart from an extra carraige since
then I can't see much has changed.

Actually, DLR train lengths have tripled since it opened. Luckily you
weren't the one measuring the demand.

Thats ********. 2 car trains were running on the DLR a long time
before the JLE opened.

True, but the DLR trains were single carriage when first introduced. The
JLE extension was authorised long before two-car DLR trains were
introduced, and it doesn't provide a link from the City to Canary Wharf.
And, of course, Crossrail will also serve Canary Wharf in a few years
(as well as occupying part of the old NLL trackbed).

At present there are no volumes - there are no services booked to
stop there!

Yet another factual mistake -- there are four high speed trains per
hour off-peak to StP, and about six per hour peak.

I was talking Eurostar trains. After all , it is called stratford
*international*.

Where did you mention Eurostar? You simply said that no-one used the
station because no trains were booked to stop there. Even if/when a few
international trains do stop there in years to come, domestic services
are likely to generate much more traffic.

You've obviously not noticed the new Westfield Stratford City retail
development, the largest urban shopping centre in Europe. Have you
actually visited the Stratford area in recent years?

Are you for real? You honestly think tourists are going to come from
the continent to visit some cheesy bling palace full of chavs and
illegal immigrants so they can do ... what? Stock up on stuff from
Accessorise or Boots? Or maybe taste the culinary delights of Greggs?

Who said anything about foreign tourists coming there? But the change
is that Stratford will soon become a destination in its own right, which
is a big change.

And largest "urban" shopping centre means nothing. Its still smaller
than Bluewater or lakeside. It just means its bigger than Westfield
in shepherds bush or Brent Cross.

Presumably you think that no-one therefore visits those two little
shopping centres, and that there's therefore no demand for public
transport to them?

And no I haven't been down there recently except to pass through on
the central line. There are less ****ty areas of london I can visit
instead if I have
the urge. And before you say I should go take a look now , the
pictures on google streetview are pretty recent and it looks like the
same vile hole
I remember from when I last had the misfortune to have to go there
many years ago.

Ah, that's why you're so well qualified to judge the future demand for
public transport in the area.