Old January 18th 11, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default DLR Extension To Stratford International

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:16:20 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
Thats ********. 2 car trains were running on the DLR a long time
before the JLE opened.

True, but the DLR trains were single carriage when first introduced. The

The whole DLR was a cut price solution by the thatcher government for an
area that should have had a full tube line from the get go. Its not really
a substitute for a proper metro service. There are too many stops, its too
slow and the trains are too small even with 3 cars.

And, of course, Crossrail will also serve Canary Wharf in a few years
(as well as occupying part of the old NLL trackbed).

At which point I would guess ridership on the DLR to and from Bank will
drop off a cliff. Unless crossrail gets its own sky high Heathrow Express
style fares which I wouldn't put past them.

Who said anything about foreign tourists coming there? But the change
is that Stratford will soon become a destination in its own right, which
is a big change.

It'll become a place to go shopping for middle distances locals. Nothing more.
That doesn't require a massive railway infrastructure. In fact going by whats
happened at the current Westfield centre in west london , most people will
go by car anyway.

Presumably you think that no-one therefore visits those two little
shopping centres, and that there's therefore no demand for public
transport to them?

See above.

Ah, that's why you're so well qualified to judge the future demand for
public transport in the area.

It seems to me more a case of wish fulfillment rather than actual projected
demand. Someone is hoping Stratford can be regenerated and become some sort
of upmarket shopping and leisure destination. I won't hold my breath. A turd
wearing a bow tie is still a turd.

B2003