Old January 24th 11, 09:53 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default London Overground

On Jan 24, 9:58*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:55:33 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

On Jan 24, 8:25*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

Did I hear at some point, however, that they may eventually extend ELL out
to Canden town?

Don't think it has ever been proposed officially. *The track layout is not
designed to allow for extending the ELL west of Highbury & Islington anyway.
Between there and Camden Rd it is laid out as a two track railway in the
centre of the formation with long *passing loops for freight on the outside.
Before the works were slightly reduced, there was a plan for a third
platform at Camden Rd, but this was to allow a Stratford - Camden Rd shuttle
to run.

Hasn't this extra platform at Camden Road just been postponed. DfT and
TfL were fighting over who was going to pay for the bridge
refurbishment work needed on the northern side of the formation at
Camden Road. So the extension of the four tracks beyond the station
won't now happen until after the Olympics (of course there may have
been another change of plans which I missed).

The bridge refurbishment and reinstatement of tracks was a freight only
scheme that was "delayed" until after 2012. However there has been a
deathly hush for many months and I'd not be surprised if it has been
gently pushed off the DfT / Network Rail shopping list. *I've not read
or heard anything about it anywhere for a long, long time.

But any third platform at Camden Road would need part of the northern
trackbed (and at least part of the western most bridge) refurbished,
otherwise there would be no access to the platform face on the other
side of the current eastbound platform.

I understand (from other forums) that the shuttle service is no more and
what LOROL will do in the peaks is run 4 tph Stratford - Clapham
Junction rather than the planned 2 tph. *There is no fleet impact [1]
plus there is a better service Camden Road - Willesden Junction.

I've seen that mentioned too.

[1] I was sad enough to do some calculations.

--
Paul C