Old January 26th 11, 12:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default Oyster ticketing thought experiment

On 25/01/2011 22:29, Roy Badami wrote:
Imagine I had an Oyster card with both a Zone 1-2 Travelcard and a
Zone 5-6 Travelcard loaded on it -- not a completely implausible
scenario, e.g. I might have an annual Zone 1-2 Travelcard but the need
to spend a week in the outer zones so add a weekly Zone 5-6
Travelcard, too.

Imagine I then took a journey from Zone 1 to Zone 6. Would the system
charge me the correct fare for the journey? More to the point, would
the system charge me for the journey at all?

I'd guess you'd get charged the usual £1.40ish for a Zone 3-4 Tube
journey (£1.50/£1.90 for National Rail) as it should be impossible to
"dumbbell" with Oyster, given it knows where you enter and exit the
system, and what ticket(s) you have loaded on the card.

Having said that, I don't have such a card to test the theory, and you'd
likely end up paying more than the cost of a 1-6 anyway.

Zones 1 - 2 Weekly: £27.60
Zones 5 - 6 Weekly: £20.80
------
Total: £48.40
======

Zones 1 - 6 Weekly: £50.40

Difference: £ 2.00

So you'd only have to do two Zone 6 - Zone 1 (or vice versa) journeys a
week to make it better value to buy a Zone 1 - 6.

Cheers,

Barry