Old January 26th 11, 07:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Bus route - going back to depot

On Jan 25, 10:29*pm, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\01\25 21:38, Paul Corfield wrote:

Of course a lot of routes will pass their operating garage anyway so
there are no "extra" roads to be followed.

I thought that the timetable demands were specified before the running
company and garage had been chosen, and so the days when last buses
would run in service to a garage halfway along the route were over.

Also, I thought that buses running out of service were ordered to avoid
their service route where possible, because people waiting for buses get
annoyed if they see a bus with their chosen route number running out of
service.

So even if the garage is halfway along the route, the buses go out of
service at the terminus and then take a deliberately different route to
the garage.

That may apply to some routes. My local service has the garage half
way along the route. Buses that run out of service to take up or end
their duties follow the route and don't deviate. Some buses are
scheduled to start or finish at the garage either very early or late
in the day.

There are obviously lots of variations in practice - I wasn't
suggesting a single "methodology" just observing what can be the case
for quite a lot of routes.

--
Paul C
via Google