Old January 26th 11, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

"Manoonga85" wrote in message

Hi all,

I'm new here but I hope someone can help me decide if this is a
ridiculous suggestion or not!

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr
the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it
through!

Has anyone experience of this and how tiring/horrific it actually might
be??

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

--
Manoonga85

It's an hour give or take on the train to Paddington. I have to say I
would think twice about it. But then how long does it take him now and
does he get a seat? Once he gets used to the trains he'll probably
discover which ones he can get a seat on.

I suppose you could split the difference and live in Didcot or Reading but
neither is particularly attractive when compared to the dreaming spires.
Mind you, Oxford isn't all University - Blackbird Leas (Lees?) isn't
attractive. If you can afford it go to somewhere like Goring and
Streatley. The journey time to London is still about an hour but lifestyle
wise there's no contest in my view.