Old January 26th 11, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Jan 26, 4:56 pm, StuartJ wrote:

On Jan 26, 4:46 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
[big snip]
As Paul Terry has quite rightly pointed out (on the utl version of this
thread), both Oxford coach services stop at Hillingdon (both ways),
which is
of course in NW London. (Indeed I've done this myself once - obviously
losing my marbles!)

Only downside to this arrangement is that somewhat inexplicably there's
no
bus shelter for the Oxford-bound coach stop - and there's no other
sheltering opportunities nearby either. That's something that really
could
do with being remedied.

I would say Hillingdon is west London, not NW - if the OP actually
lives in (say) Stanmore it would be rather a long way away.

Very fair point - a combination of the lack of geographical anchorage of the
Tube 'map' (which I'm always preaching against trusting in this regard!),
the expansive nature of the NW postcode area versus the W (neither of which
of course stretch out anything as far as Hillingdon, but I mentally extend
them out when divvying up the metropolis into compass points), and the fact
that the M40 heads to points north west (such as Oxford) just makes me
rather sloppily place it in north west London in my mind - but I stand duly
corrected.