Old January 27th 11, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

"Alan" wrote:
"Bevan Price" wrote in message
Well, if the job has long term prospects, I would suggest that the least
stressful option would be to consider moving out of London and find
somewhere to live in or near Oxford. Although few places have really cheap
housing these days, Oxford should be less expensive than living in London.

My mate used to live in Didcot and worked at Blackbird Leys in Oxford - the
drive up wasn't too bad in the morning and his occasional training courses
in Willesden were apparently easy enough to get to, either by train or by
car. A suitable compromise? It's not the most exciting of spots, I grant
you, but it seems like an OK place to live and Paddington's 45 mins away
with a train about every 10 mins in the peak.

Didcot is an absolutely disgusting 'chav town'. It certainly isn't
somewhere that professional people would choose to live.

The train service is good but the park and ride facility is poor. The
car park is distant from the station; in adverse weather, the exposed
walking route between the two is unpleasant. The car park quickly
fills up from the station end in the morning peak making the walk even
longer.

Avoid.