Old January 28th 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Paul Paul is offline

Default Route number specific bus branding [was: Bus route - going backto depot]

On Jan 28, 10:30*am, "MaxB" wrote:
"Paul" *wrote in message

Just to put my twopennyworth in, I don't like the policy where the
front of the bus only shows the final destination. I realise that this
may hae something to do with the provision of better information for
people with poor eyesight, but it seems a shame that improvements for
ne set of passenger has to be at the expense of another set of
passengers. *London gets a lot of tourists who are not familiar with
the bus network and who need to know where the buses go. (eg if you
are on Regent Street and want to go to the Tower of London, and you
see a no. 15 with the destination "Blackwall", you would not
necessarily realise that this bus takes you where you want to go.)

Hear hear. I was in Piccadilly on Wednesday and saw endles 38s going by,
often with different destinations but absolutely no clue as to how they
could get there. Given they appear to be dot matrix type displays, they
could easily scroll as is done by any other bus and train companies. I
suppose the argument might be that the bus stop has all the info you need?

MaxB

The same argument applies to provision of space for buggies on buses.
The main bus company in Edinburgh, Lothian Buses, recently introduced
a policy that large buggies and prams could not be carried on their
services. One of the arguments was that provision needed to be made
for wheelchair users. One parenting website said that you could easily
carry wheelchairs as long as you increased the space available to
buggies as well. What they forgot to mention was that you can only
increase the space for buggies at the expense of space for everyone
else.

I know this subject is controversial and you will never please
everyone, and I do not wish to take sides. However Lothian Buses make
an important point on their website, namely that travelling on a bus
means SHARING the space with OTHER PEOPLE. See
http://www.lothianbuses.com/index.ph...=article&id=93.
These other people may have requirements which are different to yours,
and have just as much right to use the bus as you do.