Old January 28th 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Bus route - going back to depot

"Bill Borland" wrote:

In article ,
David Cantrell writes
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:21:56AM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

Some do. Back in the good old days the Routemasters often did, and even
now many buses have a list of stops painted* on the outside**.

* for vinyl transfer values of paint
** although now that I think about it I can't think of any routes in
London that do this. It's very common in the provinces though.

The 402 Bromley to Tunbridge Wells uses dedicated buses with the
route number and destination painted on the outside. I don't know
what the 400-series are, probably ex-green-line or ex-"country bus",
but definitely TfL.

No, the 402 is *not* a TfL contracted route (apart from anything else, most
of the length of it is very much outside Greater London) - it's operated by
Arriva Southern Counties, and UIVMM TfL tickets are not accepted for travel
even on the stretch within Greater London (unlike say the 84 from High
Barnet to St Albans operated by Metroline, on which TfL tickets are valid
from High Barnet as far as Potters Bar).

TfL used to publish some information (originally a leaflet called 'Beyond
the fringes', before I think just becoming a PDF on their website) which
detailed where TfL tickets were accepted on non-TfL routes and how far out
that validity stretched - alas it seems to have disappeared last year and
not (yet) made a come back.