Old January 28th 11, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Manoonga85 wrote:

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

If you can get to Hillingdon, there are a couple of coach lines that call
there on their way from London to Oxford - the Oxford Tube and the Oxford
Espresso or something daft like that (used to be called the X90). When i
worked in Oxford (in Headington, specifically), i had a colleague who
commuted from London that way. Struck me as potty, but she did it.

The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr
the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it
through!

I commuted from Colchester to the South Bank for a while, and that was
fairly horrible. Oxford to the City, via Paddington, would be rather
worse, i think.

I suppose he could do the above route in reverse - coach to Headington,
Metropolitan line to work. That would probably take longer than
train/tube, but it might be less stressful. It should be substantially
cheaper.

Can you put the move off until after Crossrail is finished?

tom

--
megaptera novae angliae, soundwork chris draper, push, pull, open, ..