Old February 2nd 11, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A fare-free travel system for the UK

In article ,

*Subject:* A fare-free travel system for the UK
*From:* "Brian Watson"
*Date:* Wed, 2 Feb 2011 01:12:09 -0000

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Jeremy Double" wrote in message

When I was a student, I once walked from Machynlleth to a youth

hostel in Corris, about 5 or 6 miles, because there was no
convenient bus. So IMO "walking distance from a station" is
further in rural areas, where there is no convenient alternative.

But what about us miserable old beggars who cannot walk far?

Bus, taxi, hitch, convenient neighbour/friend.

In general, yes, but not in the City Centre pedestrianised area from which
all of those are banned unless they are buses run free of charge to
passengers. Hence the City Shuttle bus.

"Honestly, old people these days, want everything done for them.
Back when I were a kid, we were grateful to 'ave feet..."

"Feet? You were lucky...!"

Etc ad nauseam.

We used to think people who could walk were posh....

--
Colin Rosenstiel