Old February 13th 11, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Ticket Barrier Construction

In message , at 18:12:09
on Sat, 12 Feb 2011, remarked:
On a slightly different note is there any way that this gateline can
plausibly cope with a crush loaded East Coast train arriving or is
this just a plot to make train travel as unpleasant as possible.

As far as I can see the new Kings Cross layout has been designed by
control freaks. That's what I told the people exhibiting it the other day
anyway.

Making people arriving at the York Way entrance wanting to catch a train
walk all the way across the front of the station (and back if they want
platforms 0 or 1) is an outrage, especially as they won't know their
platform until they've walked past platform 8. Already the departures
screen that used to face that entrance has been removed.

The "new" Kings Cross has been designed around people arriving at the
station in the vicinity of the under-construction 'UFO upstairs' above
the Northern Ticket Hall, and then using the bridge to get to the
platforms, or a west-facing gate line a little west of platform 8 (under
the original west wall).

However, the three eastern-most gates in the line of gates along the
buffers are marked "in" on the plans; although in practice I suspect the
in/out-ness of the gates will be subject to short and long term change.