Old February 4th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default My train is on fire!

Gunnar Thöle wrote in message ...
Boltar schrieb:
You have to wonder what would (does?) happen if some of the newspaper & tissues
etc that people drop around the system were to get lodged in some hot traction
equipment. I imagine this could be quite likely to happen in a tunnel section.

Something similar happened on the Hamburg S-Bahn system last autumn,
debris left in tunnels caught fire. The result was a ten-day block of
the relevant tunnel, 3 stations and approx. 4 km of tunnel where every
surface was covered with corrosive residues making it necessary to clean
the entire tunnel, a burnt-out power substation, destroyed signalling,
power, phone and data cables and a half-frequency train service for the
following 6 weeks.

GASP! That's pretty large-scale!

If that happened on TfL two years ago we'd STILL be waiting for
resumption of services...although I thought the cleaning ladies who
travel through the LUL network at night removed debris anyway, so it's
not likely to happen, correct?

Brad