Old February 13th 11, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ticket Barrier Construction

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
18:12:09 on Sat, 12 Feb 2011,
remarked:
On a slightly different note is there any way that this gateline can
plausibly cope with a crush loaded East Coast train arriving or is
this just a plot to make train travel as unpleasant as possible.

As far as I can see the new Kings Cross layout has been designed by
control freaks. That's what I told the people exhibiting it the other
day anyway.

Making people arriving at the York Way entrance wanting to catch a
train walk all the way across the front of the station (and back if
they want platforms 0 or 1) is an outrage, especially as they won't
know their platform until they've walked past platform 8. Already the
departures screen that used to face that entrance has been removed.

The "new" Kings Cross has been designed around people arriving at
the station in the vicinity of the under-construction 'UFO
upstairs' above the Northern Ticket Hall, and then using the bridge
to get to the platforms, or a west-facing gate line a little west
of platform 8 (under the original west wall).

However, the three eastern-most gates in the line of gates along
the buffers are marked "in" on the plans; although in practice I
suspect the in/out-ness of the gates will be subject to short and
long term change.

That is better than I was told by people running the various exhibitions I
have seen but still requires a screen showing departure information in
that area. So why remove the one that was there?

--
Colin Rosenstiel