Old February 20th 11, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Mercedes Black Cabs

On 20/02/2011 22:05, Bruce wrote:
Mizter wrote:
On Feb 20, 8:03 pm, wrote:
"Graham gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I saw a Mercedes (Vito?) based black cab today. I've seen a couple
previously but a thought occurred today. I have this recollection
that, at some point in the past, one of the requirements for a black cab
was a minimum turning circle and that was a part of the reason why we
had unique vehicles. Was I dreaming and have they changed the
requirement?

No, you weren't dreaming. No, they haven't changed the requirements.

The Merc Vito "black cabs" have rear-wheel steering to enable them to
meet that particular requirement.

http://www.randle.co.uk/clients/One80_1.html
The video's worth watching...

They still don't look quite right though - I think I'd feel a bit
short changed if I got one! That said, a single company having a
stranglehold of the supply of vehicles which complied with the Hackney
carriage spec was hardly an ideal situation.

A relative runs a black cab business in London and had a Vito Taxi on
trial for a month last year. He was very happy with it, particularly
when it came to carrying people in wheelchairs, something the Fairway
(traditional black cab) is very weak at. He said it was also
particularly comfortable for the driver, which is not something that
anyone could truthfully claim of the Fairway.

But his regular customers didn't like the Vito, and neither did the
drivers he employs, probably because it was unfamiliar to them and the
drivers probably needed some time to get used to it.

Is there any noticeable difference in petrol costs?