Old February 5th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
The Only Living Boy in New Cross The Only Living Boy in New Cross is offline

Default tube lines south of the river

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message ...
"The Only Living Boy in New Cross" wrote in
message om...
"juvenal" wrote in message

I sometimes wonder whether I would gain from a Tube line serving me

locally.
I live on the Hayes line, which would be a prime candidate for

incorporation
into an extended Bakerloo line (for example).

That'd be fantastic! Elephant & Castle,

Walworth next, surely...

It's only a five minute walk from E&C to East Street, so I left out
Walworth. They can walk! grin

Camberwell, Peckham,
Brockley, Lewisham, Ladywell, Catford Bridge, Lower Sydenham, New
Beckenham, Clock House, Elmers End, Eden Park, West Wickham and Hayes.

Personally, I'd rather see it head along the more direct route down the Old
Kent Road:

Elephant & Castle, Bricklayer's Arms, Surrey Canal Road, New Cross, St
Johns, Lewisham.

ISTR reading somewhere that there are already Bakerloo tunnels half
way down Walworth Road as part of the proposed 1950 Camberwell
extension, hence why I suggested Camberwell. Your route does make
more geographic sense, I admit, but maybe runs a bit too close to the
JLE?

I don't even know if it would be needed any further - passenger capacity
would get pretty tight, and Lewisham would be a good change for a lot of
passengers; plus it would prevent the Hayes line from losing its service to
the City.

Do you mean there would be too many passengers to get on the trains?
So just like the rest of the tube network, then? Seriously, though,
if an extended Bakerloo were in tunnel from E&C to Ladywell, you could
run a 10/12 tph service, surely, which would take lots of passengers?

Patrick