Old February 25th 11, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default BBC: Doors opened on moving Victoria Line Tube near Brixton

d wrote on 25 February 2011 09:51:22 ...
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:07:05 +0000
"Richard wrote:
Presumably this is true for more modern stocks, which force you to wait
seconds while the nanny electronics works out whether you've actually
stopped. It's one of the pleasures of the Paris Métro to be able to
alight before the train stops (on some lines anyway) - quite like old times.

I tend to score most elf-n-softie legislation, but I have to say that allowing
people to get off a train while its still moving is a bit dodgy IMO. If
you slip and your leg goes between train and platform you're in deep ****.
With a routemaster its not so bad since you fall off you land in the road,
end of - and hopefully a following vehicle doesn't run you over , but with
a train it won't stop and you have a good chance of losing a limb.

I'm surprised that you of all people take such a nannyish line. The
train is about to stop anyway, the action of opening the door is
passenger-initiated, and nearly all Paris Metro platforms are straight.
The risk is minimal, no more dangerous than getting on or off a moving
escalator or stepping off a kerb.

Or in the case of slam door stock being whacked from behind by a door
opened by someone else.

I always alighted from the front door of an HST carriage in the old
days, as I reckoned there was a significant risk of being hit by your
own door if you used the rear door as the doors are so wide. Slam door
stock is a different order of risk.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever been on a D- or C-stock District
train that has opened its doors to enable me to alight while it was
still moving.
--
Richard J.