Old July 16th 03, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ian G Batten Ian G Batten is offline

Default the quest for safety

In article ,
Richard wrote:
When I did my driving test, and subsequent ADT,

A man who says that cars pose an unacceptable risk to pedestrians is
happy to pose an unacceptible risk to pedestrians, eh? There's nothing
like having principles, and that's nothing like having principles. You
could try ``cars are bad, that's why I don't have one'' as an idea.
``You shouldn't drive, but I do'' doesn't really impress.

You're just another car driver, but you think you can impress us by
saying how much you hate yourself every time you do it. You get the
best of both worlds: the convenience of driving, and the moral sanctity
of claiming not to drive.

Tell us, Richard, the thing that makes you different from the selfish,
inconsiderate, non-sustainable drivers you rail against. Charlie Hulme
can live without a car. David Hansen can live without a car. Even
(shudder) Mister Natural could live without a car.

ian