Old February 6th 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
juvenal juvenal is offline

Default tube lines south of the river

"The Only Living Boy in New Cross" wrote in
message m...
"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message

"The Only Living Boy in New Cross" wrote in
message om...
"juvenal" wrote in message

(snip)

Camberwell, Peckham,
Brockley, Lewisham, Ladywell, Catford Bridge, Lower Sydenham, New
Beckenham, Clock House, Elmers End, Eden Park, West Wickham and Hayes.

If this route were taken, there would probably be a station at Loughborough
Junction as well.

Personally, I'd rather see it head along the more direct route down the

Old
Kent Road:

Elephant & Castle, Bricklayer's Arms, Surrey Canal Road, New Cross, St
Johns, Lewisham.

I thought about this route. It would probably cut down journey times to
Central London, but would areas along the Old Kent Road, within either E&C,
JLE and East London line service areas, really benefit as much as
Camberwell, where one has to travel to Oval, Brixton or E&C to make a tube
connection?

ISTR reading somewhere that there are already Bakerloo tunnels half
way down Walworth Road as part of the proposed 1950 Camberwell
extension, hence why I suggested Camberwell. Your route does make
more geographic sense, I admit, but maybe runs a bit too close to the
JLE?

You wouldn't, IMO, even need tunnels. You could bring the Bakerloo to the
surface somewhere along Walworth Road and add an extra two tracks to the
existing lines to Lewisham (Lewisham station itself would probably need
major rebuilding though, however you expand it).

I don't even know if it would be needed any further - passenger capacity
would get pretty tight, and Lewisham would be a good change for a lot of
passengers; plus it would prevent the Hayes line from losing its service

the City.

Thinking it over, termination at either Peckham or Lewisham might be the
best course.