Old March 2nd 11, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default Pram Rage Incident

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:45:22 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:52:22AM +0000, d wrote:

I wasn't trying to advance the argument, it was simply an opinion. I find the
whole "state execution is murder and makes us no better than the criminals"
argument a load of specious BS

It's murder because it can not possibly be applied *only* to criminals,
given that we know that not all convictions are correct - indeed we

Its not murder because by definition murder is an illegal act. If something
has been sanctioned by a court then its not illegal. If people have a moral
objection to any sort of execution then fine, but calling it murder simply
to up the ante is childish.

know that they *can't* all be correct seeing that we don't have total
surveillance and mind reading. I don't particularly have a problem
with killing certain classes of criminal, but I do insist that we know
beyond a shadow of a doubt that they really are criminals.

As I've already said, the death penality should require a higher standard
of proof than is currently employed in a conviction but that doesn't mean
it shouldn't be used at all IMO.

B2003