Old March 2nd 11, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott[_3_] Paul Scott[_3_] is offline

Default East London Line extension to Highbury & Islington open today

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, wrote:

Were there at any point stations on between the Canonbury tunnel and
Finsbury Park?

There still is! The line through the tunnel joins up with the Northern
City line to Moorgate where it comes to the surface, immediately south of
Drayton Park. I have no idea if there were ever platforms on that line,
though.

No, the single line from Canonbury tunnel is separate past Drayton Park, and
it is at a higher level - and when it reverts to double track the down
Canonbury line passes over both the up and down Moorgate lines. They remain
separate all the way up to Finsbury Park, with the Moorgate lines on the
'insides'. Both down lines pass under the four main lines, the only
connections are just south of FP station, similar on the up side.

No apparent space where there could have been platforms when it was two
track - I haven't ever read of any.

Come to think of it, i have no idea how the tunnels relate underground.
Are they completely separate right up their portals?

I'd recommend Google Maps aerial view as by far the easiest explanation...

Paul S