Old March 3rd 11, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line extension to Highbury & Islington open today

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...

Come to think of it, i have no idea how the tunnels relate
underground. Are they completely separate right up their portals?

You'll appreciate this I think Tom, found it this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZxk08n8Jag

At about 1.03 you can see a connection from Finsbury Park coming in
from the right of the southbound tunnel. That approximates to the
current 'up Moorgate' route from Finsbury Park - the flyover shown
above has since been rebuilt, but that is carrying the down line
from Canonbury over the 'tubes'. The LU tunnel portals were
demolished and a new down Moorgate route formed roughly where they
were, passing under the down Canonbury.

I think at the time the film was shot that connection on the right
would have been unused, remains of the abandoned 'Northern Heights'
route (which Colin has since mentioned) that would have extended
the Northern Line north west of Finsbury Park.

The connection was used for stock transfers to and from Highgate until
1970.

Hope that is of interest to you, and many others.

Indeed so. I remember visiting the Northern City Line as it was then
called at around that time when it still had the Standard Stock with 2 car
trains off-peak.

--
Colin Rosenstiel