Old March 5th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default East London Line extension to Highbury & Islington open today

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2011\03\04 23:11, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2011\03\02 22:44, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, wrote:

Were there at any point stations on between the Canonbury tunnel and
Finsbury Park?

There still is! The line through the tunnel joins up with the Northern
City line to Moorgate where it comes to the surface, immediately south
of Drayton Park. I have no idea if there were ever platforms on that
line, though.

Come to think of it, i have no idea how the tunnels relate underground.
Are they completely separate right up their portals?

The Big Tube ends at Drayton Park (the road). The Canonbury Curve
tunnel ends near Ronalds Road. This is quite clear from the satellite
photos in the map resource of your choice.

Yes, so it is. I'd looked at Drayton Park, but not spotted the Canonbury
line heading south!

In fact, if you follow the line of the track south across Ronalds Road,
it lines up with a driveway between two rows of modern houses that
reaches to Highbury Fields. I would guess they were built on either side
of the railway tunnel, as it would be too shallow to build houses over.

I see where you're coming from, but putting a drive down the middle
would be the only logical way to use that site, even with no tunnel.

Nonsense! Straight lines can ONLY be explained by buried railway lines! No
other cause is possible! Well, except ley lines.

The more interesting question is what was there before the houses were
built.

True. I've had a look at the 1949 one-inch map, and apparently, it was a
huge letter S.

tom

--
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.