Old March 8th 11, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Carto Metro London Underground etc.Map

wrote:
[W&C line]

I've now found out why 8 road is now also called the lift road. Since the
closure of the Armstrong lift, the cars are lifted by crane directly from
8 road. The track of 8 road can be seen in Google Earth in the 'V'
junction between Spur Road and Station Approach Road. Something else new
that I've learnt :-)

Here's the W&C carriages being lifted out of the hole in April '06 for
refurbishment...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213923/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214056/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214019/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349919722/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349948484/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213974/

And here's one after the refurb, about to be craned back down the Drain in
August '06:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimd/224388470/

Alas none really show the 'hole' - aha, here's a shot that illustrates that:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207601090/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598827/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598449/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597974/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597588/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597190/

I realise now I've arranged these in the wrong order - these were the
refurbed carriages being returned to their subterranean home - my excuse is
that they don't show in chronological order he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version...erloocityline/

You can see the 'hole' from street level of course.