Old February 7th 04, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
DJO DJO is offline

Default Fatality at Balham?

Hardly vitriol! Look at the news today, sadly some poeple died in a road
accident near Liverpool, which is a tragic thing to happen, but the only
picture availble on the TV news was that of skid marks on a road even though
the time between the accident happening and the TV crews arriving would in
all probablility been shorter than the length of time the police took to
investigate at Balham.

On the roads it seems whn a tragedy happens it is cleared up a.s.a.p, on the
railways there is no similar hurry. Maybe my perceptions of these things is
wrong, and if so I shall stand corrected, but don't accuse me of vitriol,
thanks.

It is often all to easy to tell exactly what happened in a suicide by train,
the driver is often in these cases the only poor soul to witness the person
throwing themselves in front of his train.

Even in situations where a road is closed due some tragic situation, the
police can divert cars round side roads etc. You cannot easily do that in
trains, perhap they should bear that in mind? Or am I being unreasonable?

Djo
"Pat Duffy" wrote in message
news
So why then when a road accident occurs they clear things up much

quicker?

Because in a road accident the perpetrator is normally one of the
drivers involved and generally still present at the scene, with tyre
marks on the road/dents in the car/other witnesses present, all of
which make working out what happened quite easy.

Suspect that in a one-under or similar rail accident it's quite a bit
harder to work out what happened and no easy-collectible evidence (no
dented cars or tyre marks to photograph).

I'd have thought you could show a little more compassion for the
victim, it's not like this happens every day. Reserve your vitriol for
real incompetences like cracked rails.

---