Old March 16th 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Is it too much to expect buses to actually stop at bus stops?

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:49:12 -0600, (Roy Badami)
wrote:

In article ,
Arthur Figgis wrote:

Last year I had a bus driver in Germany get very rude in two languages
because I had put my arm out.

I had the same thing, in Berlin. I wouldn't have, if he'd stopped at
the right bus stop!

Interesting - I'd somehow thought Germany was a put-arm-out country.
Maybe I'm wrong about the whole continental Europe thing then, I dunno
now.

I wouldn't say that -- I think the "no arms" is particularly a
German-speaking thing. It's normal everywhere in France, and I've had
no complaints elsewhere.

When I was little in Hull, ringing the bell to get off was considered
what would now be called anti-social behaviour. You were supposed to go
and stand by the door waiting to get off (no middle exit).

On East Kent you'd stand at the front if possible, a chat with the
driver if you were really lucky, but I don't remember a problem with
dinging the bell. I think into the 80's they still had compulsory and
request stops there as well, or at least the older stops still showed
a difference.

Richard.