Old March 23rd 11, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default YP railcard and evening peak travel

wrote:

(GSV 3 minds in a can) wrote:

I read somewhere that if you have a YP railcard linked to your oyster
card and you make a peak journey in the evening, you will be charge
the offpeak rate. The reason being is that if you purchase an off peak
travel card you can use it in the evening during peak time time. I
was surprised to learn that I made a journey from Kings cross (LU) to
Hounslow at 5pm and it charged me £4.30. It should have been £1.70?

Can someone please clarify.

Briefly, fares are charged at peak rate in the evening peak but the cap is
set at the off-peak rate. I don't think the railcard actually comes into
it.

In the evening peak, the Railcard still comes into it in the sense that it
means the holder is eligible for the Railcard-reduced off-peak daily cap.
However Railcard holders (who have the discount loaded on their Oyster card)
don't get any special treatment w.r.t. evening peak fares - it's full whack
for them.