Old March 27th 11, 01:03 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Petrov[_2_] View Post
It is a very strange line though (at least to me) as it appears to go
nowhere from nowhere, and has so few direct interchanges - but it is a
godsend if you are travelling around North London as it can be so much
quicker than travelling in and out.
Now that the service is 4 tph, the quality is much better and the massive over-crowding is no more. The new train stock is a huge improvement over what we had previously. This is now quite a pleasant way of travelling across North London.

Your description of the line sums up neatly why it is unlikely in its present form ever to become a heavily patronised service. In London the railways that are heavily used are those that enter central London and those that provide inter-change opportunities. It is significant that far more passengers board and alight at Barking and Blackhorse Road than at any other station.

When I first used this service more that 30 years ago, the trains ran from Barking to St. Pancras. It was a good way of getting from Leyton to the Kings Cross area. Can anyone confirm if the tunnel between Upper Holloway and Kentish Town is still navigable?