Old April 5th 11, 07:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
bob[_2_] bob[_2_] is offline

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Apr 5, 3:31*am, Chris Sanderson wrote:
One person has lost their life, many others will be affected for
months or possibly even years by the experience...but hey, some people
might get home an hour or two late! Oh no! Thats infinately more
important than making sure that there arent bits of body lying about,
or checking the need to preserve a possible crime scene - just send
trains along the other lines! Oh, and there must be loads of staff to
tell abusive passengers who cant comprehend announcements or displays
that no, they dont know when or if their train will run.

Sorry for being flippant, but it happens. Poor people in poor areas
end their miserable lives. People going home from work get delayed.
Trains are cancelled. Staff get shouted at because they dont have
crystal balls. Its not going to change, so my advice is to go and find
a café, have a sit down and stop being so angry when compared to the
poor unfortunate who died and the poor unfortunate's who have to clear
up the result you have VERY little to complain about.

Perhaps we should have declared a day of national mourning and stopped
all work from happening anywhere.

If everything is in chaos and nothing running at 21.00, for farther
flung destinations (Paddington is, after all, an intercity station),
we are starting to get into "last train" times. If you're a couple of
hundred miles from home and your only route home is cancelled, it's a
little more serious than "go to a cafe and come back later", because
"later" could well be tomorrow morning. Would you be happy to be
dumped in a railway station 200 miles from home overnight with nowhere
to stay under such circumstances?

It's not just a question of "damn the crime scene, get the trains
running", there are other railway lines and other ways of getting
there (eg via Waterloo, coaches).

Robin