Old April 5th 11, 08:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Chris[_2_] Chris[_2_] is offline

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

Body parts could be spread across all six tracks if a person is hit at
125mph.....it could also be a crime scene and the line would have been
closed by the BTP until they are satisfied with their investigations.
Then Network Rail has to clear all the body parts by bringing in the
Emergency Services. Only then can they start opening lines up.

If I get caught up in this sort of disruption, I usyally expect it to
last at least two hours - so try & find out from staff etc what time
the lines were closed & then work out my options.

It can take over an hour, sometimes two to organise coaches - hence
why it usually isn't worth it from Padd - by the time they are
organised and ready for loading, plus the travel time to Reading - the
lines are usually open - so best to wait for the trains to start
running. TOCs have to get you to your destination if you arrive in
good time for a train that would have taken you there...so there's NO
risk of getting dumped overnight *providing* you don't wander away
from the station for too long - you might miss the only train to go to
where you want to be. REfreshments withinn the station are fine.

Personally, my sympathies are with the driver of the affected train,
along with track & emergency personnel who have to pick up the bits -
not a nice job. It's something the travelling public have to accept....