Old February 8th 04, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
John Watkins John Watkins is offline

Default Fatality at Balham?

MartinM wrote:
David Hansen wrote in message . ..

On 7 Feb 2004 03:10:11 -0800 someone who may be
(Matt Ashby) wrote this:-

Surely when investigating a crime, the police should be given all the
time that they need.

The police are incompetent enough as it is. In fact they are, in
common with much of the legal world, one of the last bastions of all
that Mrs Thatcher complained about. Giving the police all the time
they need sounds to me like the sort of thing party politicians say
when they are trying to please the public.

I was told by station personnel that the body in question had a knife
wound; so hardly a routine fatality. What was amazing was that SC
could not organise a diversion as they do at weekends.

I suspect that is because during the weekday peak the system is at
capacity and it isn't at weekends. There are probably also power-supply
issues on any diversion route as well as the route being slower.

I was rather suprised though that SCT didn't turn trains at East Croydon
- they were still well out by the evening.

John.