Old April 6th 11, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] romic@cix.compulink.co.uk is offline

Default More on the Latchmere Curve parly train

As I was wandering around the Clapham Junction / Imperial Wharf / Crystal
Palace area on Monday afternoon, and the time was right, I decided to take
a trip on the parly train. Although I lived near Stewarts Road for a few
years many years ago, I don't think I'd ever got a train from Wandsworth
Road.

Despite there being three other people on the platform, I managed to get a
seat on the empty four car unit when it arrived! I'd intended getting off
at Imperial Wharf, but then found it was fast to Olympia. After sitting
outside Olympia for 4-5 minutes, the train terminated in the SB platform,
where it became a stopper to Clapham Junction. It then formed the 16:34
back to Clapham Junction where it then went back to Olympia, so I don't
know if this train just comes out of depot to do a PM peak shuttle service.

Fares
I couldn't buy a ticket at Wandsworth Road, and I don't need to buy
tickets for the Overground, but I've just looked and seen that the single
fare between Wandsworth Road and Olympia is £1.80, yet the single fare
between Clapham Junction and Olympia (NR and Overground trains) is £4.
That's a lot of money for what can be as little as 7 minutes for the
journey time!

Roger

*From:* "Paul Scott"
*Date:* Sat, 2 Apr 2011 18:21:03 +0100

"Recliner" wrote in message
news
Simon Calder covered the M-F one-way ghost train from Olympia to
Wandsworth Road (1:20 into the video, if you want to skip the
even rarer MK bus service).
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12945892

AIUI, he's wrong to lay the blame at 'the train companies'. It was
a DfT decision not to run a service over the various bits of route
in question - therefore it is clearly down to them to apply for
closure. Once ELL phase 2 opens the length requiring closure will
shrink anyway, so that's possibly why they are waiting...

Also, isn't the service two way at the moment between Kensington
Olympia (not Shepherds Bush) and Wandsworth Rd?

1004 - 1020 s/b and 1612 - 1629 n/b

So was this a BBC archive piece, or recent?

Paul S