Old April 6th 11, 07:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ian[_2_] Ian[_2_] is offline

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"SB" wrote in message
Sadly there was yet another person hit by a train at Southall on
Monday evening (yesterday).

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/co...c=669.msg87663

This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem
be a regular occurance.

Anyway you would have thought that First Great Western might have
had
a contingency plan for such occurrences by now.

I suspect they had. BTP's target time for reopening a railway after
a fatality is 2 hours. If you could get a fleet of buses to
Paddington to take all the passengers it would almost certainly take
the best part of 2 hours.

An illustration.....

A few yearsgo I had a call (at home ) from my boss (I was working as a
coach driver).
"Come to the yard, collect a coach, go to Gatwick - they have fog
problems".

(I was living in Portsmouth, I had to drive to Gosport, pick up (and
check over) a vehicle, and drive it to Gatwick.

At Gatwick, three of us coach drivers had instructions to take a load
to Stansted. Being haemophrenic types, we decided one would do M25
anticlockwise, one M25 clockwise, and one (me ) through the middle of
London. (to see which was quickest - traffic was light, it was now the
small hours).

Going through the Victoria area aiming towards Park Lane, there was
nearly a riot from the passengers.... "There's the bloody hotel we
left 24 hours ago!!!!!"

)