Old February 8th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
juvenal juvenal is offline

Default tube lines south of the river

"m.scharwies" wrote in message
om...

(snip)

Nasty how it sounds there may be a grain of salt in it. I don't recall
the author, but Metroland (the suburbs to the northwest) were quite
posh and could afford tube fares whereas the more proletarian southern
suburbs weren't as intersting for tube intvestors.
Matthias Scharwies

On balance, I think that the existing railways had sewn up most of the
prosperous commuting areas, (places such as Sidcup or Chiselhurst on the
Keantish side, for example) and simply had a much stronger competitive
advantage when it came to new or expanded services.