Old April 13th 11, 06:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Ticket gates at Finsbury Park

In message of Tue, 12
Apr 2011 15:24:53 in uk.transport.london, Roy Badami
writes
In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:57:35 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:46:02 +0100
"Mizter T" wrote:
Of course it's about revenue - Finsbury Park is known as somewhere where
there are no barriers, that combined with the Tube interchange makes it
attractive to those wishing to evade a fare.

[snip]

Why can't they just leave things as they are? As we've discussed
before it's already set up for interchange (presumably because if you
transfer via Station Place you do actually leave the NR station via
one exit to the street and then re-enter the LUL station via an
adjacent entrance - or vice versa). Hence the problem of not being
able to start a new journey at Finsbury Park (or, I gather, anywhere
else) shortly after completing a journey at Finsbury Park.

Or do gates handle interchange differently from standalone readers?

Finsbury Park (FPK) is special. If you touch out at FPK and later touch
out at another station, you are charged for one journey. If you touch
out at FPK, a second touch at FPK within 30 minutes is ignored. A second
touch after more than 30 minutes is a touch in.

That is a big improvement in PAYG charging. The later touch out at
another station used to be charged as an unstarted journey. There is one
exception: touch in at station A, out at FPK, and out again at A and you
will be charged for a complete journey between A and FPK and an
unstarted journey at A. I can't remember if this is automatically
adjusted within a few days for registered catds.

I saw the new gates being constructed. There is a passenger holding area
about 3m deep at the top of the stairs. I imagine the gates will be
locked open for Arsenal home matches. I don't know if anything special
is done at Drayton Park for such congregations.

There is also inconsistent signage. Passengers going down the stairs are
instructed to keep left; passengers going up get no such instruction. My
email to FCC on this was passed on to station management. I have not
seen if the signage has been corrected.
--
Walter Briscoe