Old April 19th 11, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Mail Rail exploration

On Apr 19, 9:12*pm, "
wrote:

On 19/04/2011 16:16, John B wrote:
This is great fun. Kudos to the urban explorers - some amazing pics:
http://www.silentuk.com/?p=2792

Bunch of questions:

What is the status of that system these days?

Mothballed.

What are its prospects?

Zilch.

Is perhaps Boris looking at possibly bringing it back, at least to some
degree, in line with efforts to cut carbon emissions in London?

No. (Though, being Boris, he's probably made some vague aside about it
being a potential secret salvation of London, so long as someone else
pays for it.)

What are the chances of getting down there and viewing it?

Break in. Except, don't.

What are the chances of getting a ride on it, as I know that they have
passenger yorks.

Every chance. If you win the EuroBillions lottery and buy it from
Royal Mail, refurbish it and run it yourself.

Are there any manually controlled trains down there, besides the
automatic ones?

What about any sort of a signalling system down there?

(I only glanced the URL, to be honest.)

A harder glance would lead you to spot the references to Sub-Brit,
whose "countless years of sitting in chairs has resulted in quite the
in depth collection of historical fact and technical nerdery regarding
the place" - at least that's the take of the urbexers. (The urbex
contingent and those of the Sub-Brit persuasion don't quite see eye to
eye, you see - though I doubt the urbex verdict on utl would be all
that glowing either!)