Old April 23rd 11, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line?

In message , at 09:40:58 on Sat, 23 Apr
2011, d remarked:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...er-21042011.ht

Sounds like its turning out to be an entire herd of white elephants. I'm
glad its not me paying council tax up there.

The County Council has always insisted that the line won't cost council
tax payers anything. If it turns out that it does, then that'll be a
quite separate issue.

I wonder if the law should get involved at some point over this given
how much less re-opening the railway would have cost and how much more
useful it would have been.

The sort of problems involved in making the route fit for a bus would
have applied even more so for a train. There's no chance the route could
have been used for a train instead at anything like this price.

Something smells bad to me.

It's a fairly typical set of civil engineering over-runs, unexpected
glitches, and arguments about the specification. A railway would also
have needed fancy measures to be built over gas main, a new viaduct over
the river (and suitable drainage), a big new P&R car park. It doesn't
make sense, for example, to imagine that a railway station car park
would have had any different issues to the bus stop.