Old April 23rd 11, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
07:14:16 on Sat, 23 Apr 2011,
remarked:
I am perfectly aware of that. What you seem unaware of, however, is
what a poor state it was in ("mothballed" is a bit optimistic), and
how much work was required on ancillary aspects. I don't think any
of the stations were re-openable, for example, all the level
crossings were missing, and several large items like a viaduct over
the river were beyond repair.

Unless you can some to terms with that, you'll never understand why
reopening as a railway would have been very costly.

While I agree with your description of the state of the old railway,
are you aware of rail industry estimates of railway restoration costs
published by Castiron which contract your last sentence?

Oops! s/contract/contradict/

I'm not aware of any estimates that took account of all the issues
that had to be overcome. I doubt they covered the Trumpington
cutting at all, for example. I don't know to what extent the
Castiron estimates included building the P&R sites and other
ancillary stuff.

It was a railway reopening so maybe the park and ride car parks were not
included. They aren't very expensive, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel